Marangu Route Kilimanjaro Trek, commonly known as the Coca Cola route. It is the oldest established route and considered to be the easiest route on the mountain. This is the only route offering overnights stays in huts, versus tent camping on all other routes. Huts have a significant impact on the overall cost because with fewer items to carry (especially tents), less staff are required in climbing crews, thus reducing the overall cost and making Marangu the most affordable route for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. It is the second chosen route of the Africa bucket list guest. The minimum days required for this route is five, and the rate of success to reach the top within 5 day is a bit low. Spending an extra acclimatization day on the mountain is highly recommended. That way you can maximize your chance of reaching the summit.
Facts about Marangu route
- Distance 72 km
- Duration: 6 days
- less time to acclimatize.
- lower success rate.
- The Success Rate is 65% on 5 day itinerary
(Daily Walking times)
|1||Marangu Gate (1870m) –Mandara Hut (2750m)||3-4||9 km|
|2||Mandara Hut (2750m) –Horombo Hut (3690m)||5-6||13 km|
|3||Horombo Hut (3690m) – Zebra Rocks (3980m) – Horombo Hut (3690m)||2||4 km|
|4||Horombo Hut (3690m) –Kibo Hut (4700m)||5-6||13 km|
|5||Kibo Hut (4700m) – Uhuru Peak (3895m) – Horombo Hut (3690m)||10-15||15 km|
|6||Horombo Hut (3690m) – Marangu Gate (1870m)||5-7||18 km|
Marangu: Pros and Cons
If you are choosing Marangu Route :
- Great panoramic views
- Attractive pricing
- Most popular route
- Varied terrain
- Overnight stays in huts
- Excellent choice for rainy season climbs
Things to consider:
- Short acclimatization
- 5-day trek has very low summit success rate
- Same trail is used for ascent and descent
- The trail is often busy
✓ Hut accommodation
✓ Varied terrain : forest -Heath-moorland-Alpine desert- Arctic
Tour highlights: Marangu Route Kilimanjaro Trek
- Day 1:Moshi to Marangu gate to Mandara hut Elevation: Elevation: 1,843 m to 2,700 m. Hike though dense rainforest
- Day 2: Mandara hut to Horombo hut. Elevation: 2,700 m to 3,720 m.Trek through rainforest and through moorland
- Day 3: Horombo hut to Mawenzi Ridge Elevation: 3,720 m to 4,390 m
- Day 4: Horombo hut to Kibo hut. Elevation: 3,720 m to 4,750 m. Traversing the alpine desert.
- Day 5: Summit Day Kibo Hut camp to Uhuru peak to Horombo Hut camp. Elevation 4,703 m to 5,895 m
- Day 6: Horombo Huts camp to Marangu Gate to Moshi After reaching the summit, you descend to Horombo Hut for the night.
What are the visa requirements for your 5 day trek in Kilimanjaro?
- Citizens of most Western countries need a visa for travel to Tanzania for visits up to 90 days. Here the list of countries which their Nationals require Referral Visa. The cost is $50 USD for all nationalities and $100 for USA citizen. And is valid for 30 days after issue.
- All travellers will need a passport which will remain valid for at least 6 months longer than your expected visit.
- Each traveller is responsible for sorting out their own passport and their visa requirements. And we cannot offer much assistance in this matter.
What vaccinations are needed and is Tanzania a malaria region?
- Officially no vaccinations are mandatory regarding yellow fever or malaria. However we highly recommend you to get vaccinated against the yellow fever before you travel to Tanzania.
- All Entrance fees and Government taxes.
- Airport Transfers (upon Arrival and Departure)
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Fair wages for the mountain crew.
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Rescue Fees and all taxes.
- Salaries for Porters, Cook, and Guides
- Oxygen Tanks, Pulse Oximeter, and First Aid Kit
- Transfers from Hotel to Kilimanjaro entrance gate and from Kilimanjaro exit gate to the hotel
- International and local airfare.
- Yellow fever vaccinations
- Local transportation before and after the climb.
- Passport, Visa, and Travelers Insurance
- Personal expenses eg. Laundry, beverages, etc.
- Tips for the support team
- Private Toilet and hot shower tent
- Bed, Sleeping Bag, and walking Poles.
Day 1:Moshi to Marangu gate to Mandara hut
Elevation: 1200 m to 1,750 m to 2,750 m
Distance: 9 km
Trekking Time: 3 hours
Habitat: Montane Forest
You will be transferred to Marangu gate from the hotel and do a registration at the gate. Afterwards, you will begins trekking through the rainforest to Mandara hut. Here you will have an acclimatization opportunity of visiting Maundi Crater. Dinner and overnight at Mandara Hut.
Day 2: Mandara hut to Horombo hut.
Elevation:2750 m to 3,807 m
Trekking time: 5-6 hours
After breakfast you will out climb the rainforest and continue trekking to Horombo hut where you will trek through rolling moorlands and get your first clear view of towering Kilimanjaro, dinner and overnight at horombo hut.
Day 3 Horombo hut to Kibo hut
Elevation(m):3807m to 4725m
Distance: 13 km
Trekking time: 5-6 hours
After a good night rest and breakfast you will trek past the last water point to reach saddle area, a great desert between the two peaks Mawenzi and Kibo. An early dinner and overnight at Kibo hut.
Day 4 Summit Day Kibo Hut camp to Uhuru peak to Horombo Hut camp
Elevation: 4,695 m to 5,895 m to 3,690 m
Distance: 4 km up, 14 km down
Hiking Time: 10-15 hours
Habitat: Alpine Desert.
Wake up at midnight to a light breakfast then prepare for your summit ascent. Because you will climb to the summit in the dark you will need to have your headlamps / flashlights. It will also be very cold until you start descending, so you will need to have all of your warm layers. This is an important time to keep on slowly slowly (pole pole in Swahili). The goal is to climb before dawn so that you can reach Uhuru Peak shortly before or after sunrise. Switchback up steep scree or possibly snow, and reach Gilman’s Point on the crater rim at 5,861 m/18,640 ft between 4 and 6 AM. At this point, you will have a views of the fabled crater and its icecaps facing you. Then after 2 hours of hiking along the Kibo crater rim near the celebrated snows takes you to Kilimanjaro’s true summit, Uhuru Peak here you will spend some times for taking photo’s. After your summit photos and taking in the view, descend back to the Kibo Huts, have lunch, rest, collect your equipment and continue down through re-cross the saddle to the Horombo Huts. Have dinner and overnight at Horombo Camp.
Day 5 Horombo Huts camp to Marangu Gate to Moshi
Elevation): 3,690 m to 1,830 m to 1,387 m
Distance: 18 km
Hiking Time: 5-7 hours
After a long sleep you will be awaked for breakfast and pack, continue your descent through the moorland to Mandara Huts. Here you will have lunch then proceed your triumphant recessional down through lush forest to Marangu park gate. After the gate sign out, a vehicle will take you to back to the hotel where it is definitely time for your certificate presentation and celebration!